Monday, April 30, 2012

Trying to make home a better place.

Being on this journey, trying to become a mother, has brought out other interests in my life.  Writing this blog, has helped unblock my voice.  I don't remember when I lost it, but it seems to be coming back.

Living in Lawton has it's advantages, and it's huge downfalls.  I don't worry about traffic, by that I mean, I don't imagine dying in a 20 car pile up, caused by excessive speed.  Yes, sometimes the person in front of me sleeps the green light, and I scream at them to move, but for the most part, it's not bad.  It only takes 15 minutes to get anywhere.  Mom's house, dad's house, work... and really, it's only 5, but the drivers are slow, and my lead foot has got me in trouble before.  The cost of living is low, way below the standard around places I've lived before.  My house might be little, but I love it.  The location and the ability to change things and create.  Having my family right here close, I never knew how much I missed them, until I came back.  Friends, there aren't as many here as I'd like, but the ones that are here, are appreciated so much.  It's nice to go somewhere, and usually know at least one person there.  Now, the downfalls, almost every time you go somewhere, someone knows you.  And they usually remember something, that I'd rather them forget.  My most hated sentence I hear, "Hey Starr, do you remember what you did or said last night?".  This is usually the day after I imbibed a little too much.  Heck no, I don't want to know, that's the whole point in drinking too much.  Who are these people and why are they remembering, what I want to forget.  Places to go out, there aren't many.  Sure we have lot's of little bars and the chain restaurants, but when it comes to culture, art, music that isn't country, there isn't much to choose from.  Maybe it's just me, and I've crossed over to the age, where I want something different.

In the 15 years, that I traipsed across the US in search of home, Lawton did not change much.  I think there are a few restaurants and a new Wal Mart.  That's not really what you would expect, especially with Ft. Sill growing and Cameron becoming a great place for higher education.  Cache is growing in leaps and bounds, Lawton should be much further along than we are.  I'm not sure what happened, but now that I'm trying to stay here, without dying of boredom, it's time to take action.  It would be nice to have choices without driving to OKC or Wichita Falls.  I know there are a lot of people who feel the same way.  It's just getting us all together and on the same page.  Standing as one, and telling our leaders, what we as a community want.

I haven't felt this passionate about something since I ran for Student Council President in 9th grade.  I'm not sure that I accomplished anything then, or if I will now, but I'm still willing to try.  If Lawton is going to be my home, I want it to be a community I'm proud of.

I have just visited GoPetition and found the following page very interesting:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bring-target-to-lawton.html



3 comments:

  1. People are fed up with lip service. This next council meeting may turn out to be quite interesting. Love the blog. You and Dallas are my favorite kids ya know. Glad you have taken this much of an interest in Lawton. I believe you should run for Mayor. We need youthful thinking...like the mayor in Muskogee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funky Cold Medina! Woooooooooo! Vote for Starr! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww shucks! Before I run for anything, I'm going to blog and get all the skeletons out of the closet!! I'm going to tell my story, the way it really happened. That and have a baby and run a marathon. :)

    ReplyDelete