Sunday, May 13, 2012

I was a mother once, a long time ago.

I was a mother once.  My heart beat for a little girl, like she was my own.  Many tears have been shed over a little girl lost.  She was never mine to begin with, but you couldn't tell my heart that. 

Met the guy, while she was pregnant.  No, I did not break them up, according to him he was already free.  Looking back, I think he was lying.  No longer do I question the mother's hatred for me, if roles reversed, I would  have felt the same way.  It's been 7 years on Tuesday, since I last saw her face, in person.  It will be her 10th birthday.  A few months back, her stepmom sent me a friend request, and I accepted.  Her and I have not spoke, but she allowed me a glimpse, of the little girl, I loved so long ago.  For that I'm deeply thankful.  I wrote a poem for my "daughter", in February of 2005.

Little Girl, I love you so
Here are some things, I want you to know.

Though you aren't mine, not my offspring,
since the day you were born, you've made my heart sing.

When you were a baby, you looked just like your dad.
If someone didn't hold you, you'd cry and get mad.

As you started growing, smiles replaced your tears.
I couldn't wait to watch you grow, through the coming  years.

Then you started walking, bolder day by day,
outside we took you, to the park to play.

Next you started talking, what a glorious sound.
It didn't matter what you said, you had us all spellbound.

You wrapped your arms around me, and said you loved me so.
I wanted to keep you young forever, and never let you go.

You are so smart and beautiful, you have taught me about love,
you are the most precious gift, sent from up above.

When you get older, if I'm not around, I just want you to know,
even though, you're not mine, I'll always love you so.

1 comment:

  1. You are mine. I feel this way and felt like you did towards that little girl when you were small. You are my precious with perfect feet and hands. You will make a great mother and, little girl, you have never grown up in my eyes. You will alwyas be the little girl that makes me want to live longer and try harder. I am loving me some Starr right now and praying for your constant care and your heart-felt prayer. love and kisses, Mammie.

    ReplyDelete